- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup pitted dates finely chopped
- 2/3 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 60 g butter melted
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup banana ripe mashed
- Grease a 14 cm x 21 cm loaf pan. Line base and two long opposite sides with baking paper.
- Combine sifted flour, soda and nutmeg in a large bowl. Stir in dates and brown sugar.
- Make a well in centre, add juice, butter, egg and bananas. Mix with wooden spoon until smooth. Pour mix into prepared pan.
- Cook at 180C for about an hour, or until cooked when tested. Stand cake in pan for 5 minutes and turn out onto wire rack to cool.
- Serve warm or cold spread with butter.
Recipe from www.bestrecipes.com.au